[PD] GriPD questions

Michal Seta mis at music.mcgill.ca
Mon Sep 24 15:43:56 CEST 2001

On 9/23/01 11:49 PM, "Joseph A. Sarlo" <jsarlo at mambo.peabody.jhu.edu> wrote:

> 1) Controls have no unique identifier.  Basically, there would be
> no way for the GrIPD pd object to address a specific control since
> multiple controls can have the same receive symbol.

Good point. I haven't considered all the possibilities but in my
opinion/experience if you have the same receive symbol for more than one
control object then it's perhaps because you want them to reflect the same
state.  So it wouldn't be so bad, I guess.  However, this haven't yet
happened to me with GRiPD.

> 2) Currently, most of the editing of control properties can
> only be done in edit mode, and not just from a user's standpoint.  The
> control objects themselves have a boolean editMode property and control
> properties can only be changed while true. This was done to make things
> run more efficiently during performance mode, but the gain may not be that
> significant afterall.

I can see your point, though...  with circa 50 objects in my GUI window I do
experience a slowdown in edit mode.

> So perhaps I will implement this in the future,
> although I'm still not sure how usefull this would be.

I can give you a specific example:  I have arrays that get resized according
to the length of sound file being loaded and I thought I wanted the sliders
to reflect the length of the array and have the same level of control when
moving around the array.  I did however consider (after writing that email)
keeping the slider constant and changing the other stuff within PD...
Perhaps a better solution.  Not fully implemented yet but shouldn't be so
bad if I find a way of keeping the same fineness of control.

Thanks for feedback.

./MiS