[PD] .pdrc & pd-034

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Mon Oct 1 15:10:52 CEST 2001

hi,

d wrote:
> it seems, that pd0.34 doesn't accept #comments any more.

right, but strictly speaking former Pd versions did not expect
#-comments as well, but rather, in processing .pdrc, any line not
starting with '-' was ignored.  Currently, parsing is no longer
line-based, and after any omission of leading '-' all remaining
tokens are treated as names of .pd-files to be open.

Well, I wonder if a `default' action of opening .pd-files via
.pdrc (ie. if those files are not specified with explicit -open)
is a good idea.

Btw #1. In former version of sys_rcfile() there was an explicit
declaration of getline() function, commented ``couldn't find this
prototype -msp''.  In case line-based parsing returns: getline()
is a GNU extension, with prototype in stdio.h, and documented in
`info libc'.

Btw #2. Whatever arguments are taken from .pdrc, they override
those passed in command line.  Since probably the expected
behaviour is rather for command-line args to take precedence,
I wonder, if this should not be done the other way around?
The needed change is as simple as swaping sys_argparse() and
sys_rcfile() calls in sys_main().

Btw #3. Corrupted .pdrc currently is tolerated, and Pd merely
gives a warning, prints usage info, and continues.  Maybe it is
better to exit, just as is the case with corrupted command-line
arguments?  If so, then the call in sys_main() should read
  if (sys_rcfile()) return (1);
rather then plain
  sys_rcfile();

K/.pdrc#of