[PD] GEM & matrox 450 dual head setup

m.ash m.ash at gmx.at
Sat Oct 6 21:25:42 CEST 2001

>vanDongen/Gilcher wrote:
>
>> Has anybody worked with gem on a dual headed system with a
>> matrox 450. I would like to use one monitor exclusively for
>> the gem rendering.
>
>Excerpt from the "DRI User Guide", concerning the G450
>( http://dri.sourceforge.net/doc/DRIuserguide.html ):
>"It should be noted that currently the second head does not
>support direct rendering."
>
>The second monitor should be used for your PD patch and the
>first for GEM.  But you can't use Xinerama since it would
>disable DRI on both monitors.  So the X desktop should run
>on the second monitor and GEM should open it's screen on the
>first monitor which support DRI.  But how?

well, I had a working solution once (currently unused). If I remember correctly it looked it likes this:
starting X without "xinerama" gives you 2 seperate display. One with dri and one without.
I used shellscripts to set the "display" enviroment variable (since pd doesn't/didn't take that option). one to start pd (and its librarys) on display 1 (with dri) with the guicmd option calling another script opening the gui on display 2. The Gem Window now pops up on display 1 (with dri)
additionally I ran different window managers (and screen solutions) on each display. First configured for gem (zero border, titles,..) and second for the gui.

hope that helps.. never really ran or tested that "hardcore"
..

m.