[PD] Pop-up window

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Mon Oct 15 11:17:47 CEST 2001

> andychen5018 wrote:
>
> Hi, everyone,
>
> Is it possible for PD object to generate a pop-up window to input
> arguments upon it's creation?  I just think that having a long list of
> arguments when instantiating an object is cubersome and less clear.
> People might not even know that they can have arguments for the
> object.  With pop-up window, it will be a reminder for people to put
> in arguments.  And it will be also more clear to show what the
> arguments are for.
>
> If anyone has some ideas of how to do that, please help me.
>
> thx
>
> Andy Chen

in pd, windows are handled by tcl/tk, and you would have to write
tk-code to have pop-up windows.
maybe you should look at the g_7_guis.* files

..tcl/tk-code is said to be painful for hackers (but i have never tried
myself)

..note, that if you let pop-up a window everytime a certain object is
instantiated, you are likely to get into a mess pretty soon (for
example, when makeing a patch that contains (say) 20 of your objects,
everytime you open this patch, you would have 20 pop-up windows created:
myself, i would get completely lost).
maybe this should handled rather like the "properties" (which you get on
demand only)

..inserting tcl/tk-code into externals would make it even harder than it
is now, to (sometimes in the far future) change the pd-gui from tcl/tk
to something better....

anyhow, the graphical-objects from the g_7_guis.* (+ pd.tk) will (pretty
well ?) describe what you will need....

mfg.cas.sadr
IOhannes