[PD] PD on a laptop??

Jim Ruxton cinetron at passport.ca
Mon Oct 22 22:11:02 CEST 2001

I'm still what you'd consider a newbie with PD but I did my first
performance using PD and know I want to continue exploring it. One thing I
discovered however is it is a hassle lugging around my desktop PC to run PD.
I'm considering buying a laptop to make my life easier. I have a couple of
questions around this and was wondering if anyone can help out.
Right now I am running PD on Win98. Most new laptops come with Windows
Millenium or Windows XP . Does anyone have experience running PD under these
operating systems? Should I just load Linux onto the laptop with the other
resident operating system and use that? Does anyone have a recommendation
for a good soundcard that would connect to a laptop? I guess this would be
USB. I use MIDI so the soundcard would have to have MIDI ports. I haven't
yet but if I decide to output video using GEM is there a recommended laptop
video card? Finally if anyone can recommend a specific model/ configuration
they use I would appreciate hearing about it. The other thing I'm
considering is keeping the desktop and getting a flat screen. This would
help a lot although the laptop would be more convenient. Thanks for any
suggestions/advice!
Jim