[PD] Pop-up window

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Tue Oct 23 15:37:49 CEST 2001

hi again,

hope it was clear, that I am not against using generic tcl/tk code
to handle all kinds of property dialogs.  My question was really:
``what are object properties'' and ``should we treat them as synonymous
to object creation arguments''.  Hope it was clear too, that I do not
know the answer, and my real intention was to provoke some response
from Miller :)

More specific thoughts are below.

guenter geiger wrote:
> The opposite. If there is only one dialog implemented, which understands
> key/value pairs and handles them, then the  array, number boxes dialogs,
> (which are all separate implementations), could all use this single
> property settings widget, so could do any gui object ...

Very much true.  This would be an ideal solution -- to keep object
properties in pd proper in some form of a dictionary, and pass that
dictionary to the gui to be handled by a generic dialog.

> no piping tcl/tk code from the engine to the gui any more ...

... well, I do not see any such piping in current implementation
of graph, array and atom properties dialogs, so maybe it is just
a temporary feature of iem objects?

> > > 2. If, on the other hand, the argument values I see in an object box
> > > are different from those that are in effect because of changing them
> > > in some dialog window (and those that I will see after reloading of
> > > the patch), then it is going to be a mess I am likely to be completely
> > > lost in.
> This problem exists already.

Yes, but maybe we should try to keep it under control?

> first time I hear that patches are readable :)

well, those that are unreadable, are unmaintainable :)

Krzysztof