[PD] Value vs receive names

Miller Puckette mpuckett at man104-1.ucsd.edu
Tue Oct 23 22:04:21 CEST 2001

Yes...  there's a big difference between MaxAPd, which is that in
Max you can only bind one object to any given name; in Pd a table, a
send/receive pair, and a "value" (and other things) can all share a
symbol.   In Max, there was a hack whereby "value" and "send/receive"
actually shared one named object between the three of them.  So the
whole thing was a special case which didn't extend, for instance, to
tables.

The "correct" thing might have been to provide different namespaces to
each type of object.  In the way it is currently, the best thing is to
avoid having different kinds of objects sharing the same name.  (It's
probably bad style anyway...)

cheers
Miller