[PD] PD on a laptop?? & ext13-0.12

d dieb13 at klingt.org
Wed Oct 24 12:37:23 CEST 2001

hi!
i recently ran into the same problem on my inspiron laptop.
this is a problem all musicians with an apple power book know quite well.
for me the solution was to put some tape over the groud pins of the power-plug.

btw: you can download the newest version of my externals at
http://pd.klingt.org/files/ext13-0.12.tar.gz
this package now contains scramble~ which is a lot of fun - especially with
language-samples,
and promiscous~ for people using pd as root ;)

regards
d13b

> This is an issue that has been plaguing most of the laptops on the market
> and comes in two flavors:
>
> 1) "a ground loop" -- solution: get a hum eliminator from Radio Shack (in
> the US it would be 60Hz, in Europe 50Hz), but otherwise very hard to root
> out
> 2) Too much circuitry crammed in small space = interference (esp. when your
> battery is being recharged by external power supply). On my Inspiron 8000,
> there are two solutions to this:
> a) Use battery-only while doing sensitive audio stuff
> b) Use external power WITHOUT battery
>
> Since you have Inspiron, you can always buy an additional battery and plug
> it into the media bay, so that should give you 5+ hours of work which should
> be sufficient for just about anything :-)
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Ico Bukvic, composer & audio designer
> http://ping.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/
> ico at fuse.net
> ============================
> "To be is to do" - Socrates
> "To do is to be" - Sartre
> "Do be do be do" - Sinatra
> "I am"           - God

               don't forget to say hello to echelon:
767, abhoermethoden, bombe, cia ,dump , echelon, freak, grundrecht,
hacking, iridium, joint, kommunismus, lauschangriff, mailbombing,
nur in den mund genommen,  osama, pgp, querulant, rasterfahndung,
stoersender, tristero, urheberrechtsverletzung, volxtheater, wanze,
xenophob, yuan, zukunft