[PD] Using Pd as a plugin....?

Michal Seta mis at creazone.com
Fri Oct 26 16:57:09 CEST 2001

On 10/26/01 9:47 AM, nullpointer @ nullpointer at odessadesign.co.uk wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Is there a way of using PD as a plugin for a host sequencer such as
> Cubase/Logic?

check:
http://barely.a.live.fm/pd/MP3-PD-MP3-mutilation.howto.txt

for ideas.

Oh, I just realized you must be on M$ OS so I'm not sure if it works that
way...

> If i wanted to use the sequencing aspects of such an app but i wanted to use
> pd for synthesis how would i go about it? I could run them both as seperate
> processes and use midi to control , but what if i want to route the audio
> from pd directly into the app like an virtual instrument?

same ideas as above, although you will probably run into some serious
latency issues.

> Could i run multiple pd instances and use them as multiple instruments?
> I think you can do something like this with max/msp?

I don't think you can do that with Max/MSP.  You can, however, use Pluggo,
which is a VST "plugin" that reads Max/MSP patches.

<rainy day humor>
Now, I would like to have the other way around:
Having a PD object that will allow me to run my favorite
sequencer/multitrack _inside_ a PD patch.  Hmm... that'd be something!

And then people ould be writing to the Max list saying "Can I run ProTools
inside Max/MSP?  I think you can do this with PD".
</rainy day humor>

Cheers.

./MiS