[PD] high frequency control data

Josh Whiting jwhiting at hampshire.edu
Wed Nov 7 00:06:39 CET 2001

hi all

I am attempting to use a phasor~ linked to a threshold~ unit to generate high frequency bangs to then trigger a reasonably complex sample playback mechanism, attempting to mimic granular synthesis.  The problem is that when i bring the phasor frequency up into the range of audible pitch, say above 100hz, i can hear a low frequency cyclical shift in the sound texture, which theoretically should be completely even.

So, my question is this: how do non-signal objects function when your trying to use them at signal rates?  I.e., what happens in a "threshold~ 0.9 0 0.1 0" object when your giving it a phasor signal that is perhaps 500hz, or in a "route" object with inputs coming at these frequencies?  Is there a way to set the non-signal and signal object speeds to be equal?  (in CSound, this is equivalent to setting KR to SR, and KSMP to 1).  I have a hunch that what is happening is a kind of artefact of the slower speed of the non-signal objects, that somehow a bang or two is getting held over to another processing chunk or something...

any input would be highly appreciated.. thanks!
josh whiting, hampshire college
jsw98 at hampshire.edu