[PD] performance patches, musical interests [OT?]

Andrew W. Schmeder andyschm at eh2o.ws
Fri Nov 9 03:34:56 CET 2001

> Check www.pure-data.org there are a good number of links, but i don't think
> that there are much patchs that function as "performance environments".
> That would be a good idea to define some goals, and start a common project
> to build such thing. What do you miss the most ?

A performance environment necessitates a good controller -- anything ranging
from the old keyboard/mouse, midi-instruments, joysticks, analog sensors,
microphones, etc --- but by their physical nature they all invoke different
control metaphors and each performer will interpret them differently... so
unfortunately I think that a 'general performance' patch is not something
that can be well-defined... but if you want to make one, one of the first
things to find is a good controller.

Personally I've been using joysticks and gamepads-- because they are cheap--
and allow me to explore parameter spaces _much_ faster than using number
boxes and a mouse...

One thing that I see as missing from the digital-performance scene as a whole
is robust and expressive use of machine learning techniques --  someday I
will hopefully make some progress on this front. (If I can get this Support
Vector code into a PD object...)

---
andy at eh2o.ws