[PD] Filenames with spaces

Richard Dobson RWD at cableinet.co.uk
Fri Nov 16 18:29:13 CET 2001

Is this sort of thing really necessary? The standard system on both
Win32 and OS X is to wrap paths in quotes, as in
"C:\My SoundFiles\Bass Riff.wav"

indeed, as you illustrate below.

Doesn't this already work with PD?

Richard Dobson

Miller Puckette wrote:

> Here's a (cranky) idea I'm thinking about for this: what if "openpanel"
> translated filenames into encoded strings without white space, so that
> a filename, "program files", became "program\sfiles" and "a\b c" became
> "a\\b\sc".  I'd fix all the file opening messages throughout Pd to make the
> opposite translation -- whenever you see a backslash - s, substitute a
> space...

Test your DAW with my Soundcard Attrition Page!
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~masrwd (LU: 18th July 2001)
CDP: http://www.bath.ac.uk/~masjpf/CDP/CDP.htm (LU: 1st August 2001)