[PD] an attempt to balance~ the shame

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Sat Nov 17 19:32:10 CET 2001

hi,

even if nobody on the list has complained, still my `balance' example,
(meant to be just a hint, not a solution), if taken literally, was
a shameful crap.

1. Apparently obvious (but minor) mistake was to make two conversions
followed by a division, instead of subtracting dbs _before_ making
only _one_ conversion (due to the pecularity of Pd's db scale, the
proper solution must also contain a [+ 100] object).  To add to my
shame, I still do not know, which way is really better one, because
0db - 0db gives the multiplier equal 1, which is bad (line~ starts
from 1 on sound beginning), while 0/0 gives 0, which is really nice...

2. The obvious (and major) omission was lack of smoothing.  Shame
indeed, since adding smoothing is as simple, as replacing [*~ 1]
object with [*~] and inserting a [line~] between this and [dbtorms].

To lighten my burden of shame, here are the two solutions.  Each of
the two abstractions, [balance-sub~], and [balance-div~], has three
arguments: one is the size in samples of envelope follower's analysis
window, second is the number of samples between envelope follower's
`ticks', and third is the smoothing time in msecs (the defaults are:
1024, window/2, and zero).  Its left inlet is the main signal, right
inlet is the reference signal, and outlet is the `balanced' signal.

Now, back to work...

Krzysztof

Btw. doc/5.reference/env~.pd is missing...