[PD] Pd EPI clarification

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Wed Nov 21 13:05:48 CET 2001

hi Miller, thanks for the clarification!

Currently one and only important obstacle blocking my nt port is the
variable `newest'.  Would you consider providing an access function to
this one?

Miller Puckette wrote:

> In general, my intention is to "stabilize" only the routines that are
> profiled in m_pd.h, and not to consider everything else as internal and
> changeable.

What about the g_canvas.h stuff?  And how about using m_imp.h by the
adventurous coders of externals, willing to maintain their code in sync
with Pd releases?  Otherwise, what is the purpose of all those EXTERN
declarations in m_imp.h?

> I think each such routine should be considered in its own right... making
> binbuf_match available (and comitting to its design) seems appropriate;

fine, so for the time being I will just #ifdef NT-in an exact copy taken
from m_binbuf.c...

> I'm not sure about canvas_obj() -- that should be part of an API to allow
> externs to edit patches in general;

there is a simple workaround of typedmess(<canvas>, gensym("obj"), ...

> [...] and the MIDI stuff is probably best
> kept private since it's best to have all MIDI go explicitly to a MIDI
> object in the patch from the user's perspective.

that is very much true.  Btw. direct access to MIDI output is wide open
through sys_putmidi[byte|mess]() routines (bypassing dejittering queue).
Anyway, I do not need it.  Thanks again.

Krzysztof