[PD] "Commenting out" objects in a patch?

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Sun Dec 2 02:19:09 CET 2001

Just wondering if there might be a trivial way to implement this in PD.

I have a patch where I am experimenting between two different ways of
doing some things.
I could of course use two seperate files, but most of the patch is
common to the two alternatives that I'm working with.

Thus, I thought it would be neat if there were a way in PD to "comment
out" or disable certain objects in the patch. Of course, I can just type
some garbage in front of the object names, for those objects that I wish
to disable (that's what I'm doing now), but then all the connections are
lost and I need to remember how to redo them the next time I enable the
object.

So, I was thinking that it would be nice if there were a better way to
disable objects, where the connections would remain, only the object
would be disabled. I'm not talking about DSP processes only, but also
disabling the the message passing.

I realize this feature might not be worth to implement, but I thought
I'd mention it, in case it turn out to be actually trivial to do.

Regards

Larry Troxler