[PD] LISTS and ATOMS and THINGS

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Mon Dec 10 10:55:44 CET 2001

> "Petrovich, Duane" wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> Does anyone have an example of using a list outlet?  I've looked
> through the "How to write an external for puredata" and I still can't
> figure it out.  I want to send a bang and a float out of the same
> outlet and then use "unpack" to unravel it.  Is this possible?

well, you could have a look at most of the available externals (like
zexy for example); there are plenty of list-outlets.

on the other hand:
a "bang" message is NO atom, but a list of 0 atoms, starting with the
identifier "bang".
you CANNOT pack bangs together with other atoms (so no package
containing "bang"+<float>)
since a bang is no state (you cannot really distinguish between various
bangs), there is no real sense in packing it together with something
other. whenever you send a float, you know, that there has to be a float
too.

mfg.cdas.asdr
IOhannes