[PD] [ggee] sfread~/mmap dropouts ?

CK x at meta.lo-res.org
Fri Dec 14 16:21:33 CET 2001

hi,

when I use multiple instances of sfread~ and I change the file in one of
them I get occasional dropouts (esp. with large [5min stereo 44.1] files,
sometimes up to 2 secs) even when there are hardly any other processes
(even sys/klogd killed), -rt, lowlat enabled, swap is off.

that's PIII at 700Mhz/192Mb

hdparm -Tt says:
/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.83 seconds =154.22 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  4.13 seconds = 15.50 MB/sec

under normal conditions ... I can squeeze out a bit more tuning the
settings but the problem persists ...

you guessed it that's on linux (Debian 3.0/ kernel 2.4.16-lowlat)

any hints ?

thanks,

chris at lo-res.org	Postmodernism is german romanticism with better
http://pilot.fm/	special effects. (Jeff Keuss / via ctheory.com)