[PD] oss not working full duplex

Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 bbogart at acs.ryerson.ca
Thu Dec 20 19:22:40 CET 2001

Looks like I need to change my OSS drivers. The only reason why I was
going with OSS was because I heard there were latency issues with ALSA
and Jmax. Does anyone know of such issues? I do need to be able to run
both Jmax and PD so switching between drivers is not likely.

I do have the commercial version of OSS.

So the final Q is, can I do full duplex with ALSA/oss emulation of
OSS/free, with very little latency in Jmax and PD?

Thanks everyone!
Ben

On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, Michal Seta wrote:

> > i fixed it now by using ALSA in
> > OSS emulation mode.
> >
> > i can't really tell for the SB PCI128
> > but I think it's rather a generic problem.
> >
> > i guess you should use ALSA.
>
> I've got PCI128 and I can't really recall the issues with oss but
> I believe you need to buy their commercial package to have
> full duplex.  I've been running alsa in oss emulation mode and
> that works fine.  Just make sure you get the latest alsa version
> (at least 0.9.0beta7, well that's what I have) because the
> earlier had a bug and would break into this annoying digital
> noise loop after running audio for some time.
>
> HTH
>
> ./MiS

B. Bogart
---------