[PD] oss not working full duplex

Yves Degoyon ydegoyon at free.fr
Sun Dec 23 01:47:20 CET 2001

Good luck.

Yves/
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Yves Degoyon
  To: msp at ucsd.edu
  Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2001 9:02 PM
  Subject: Re: [PD] oss not working full duplex

  hi,

  someone replied to this message by saying
  that there ain't any compiling problem with ALSA
  so i've checked twice :
  pd 0-34-3 or pd 0-35-test3 will not compile with ALSA
  v0.9.0 beta9 nor v0.9.0 beta10, sorry.
  It cannot compile since there ain't any
  asoundlib.h in ALSA releases anymore.

  I think the misunderstanding spread from the fact
  that if you don't issue a
  "./configure --enable-alsa" command,
  the configure script will not try to detect ALSA
  and what you really do is compiling PD
  with OSS emulation mode,
  which works with any version.

  So, I think most people use OSS emulation mode
  without knowing it.

  btw, i don't think this mode
  introduces a lot of latencies
  ( i don't have too many on a Celeron 800 ).

  cheers,

  Yves\\\