[PD] Arrays of arrays?

Joseph Zitt jzitt at metatronpress.com
Sun Dec 23 20:36:36 CET 2001

On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 12:47:33PM +0100, pix wrote:
> table is just a handy object for making an array appear in a subpatch,
> rather than cluttering up your main window.

Ah, OK. I would probably want to use that, then, since I'm not
particularly interested, in this case. in seeing visual
representations of the arrays.

> if you want to store anything other than a float in an array, you need to
> use templates. making an array of arrays definitely falls into this
> category. but, apparently miller is making some big changes to this part
> of pd (constantly?).

Hmm, ok.

> but even then, i'm not sure if you would be able to easily write to a
> template-like array (which is i think is a very different animal to a
> "normal" array).
>
> how many different arrays do you need? if it's a manageable upper limit,
> you might be able to just build the arrays statically (because without the
> template stuff, this is really the way that pd has to work - atleast
> without selfmod hacks). switching between them could be tricky tho (i'm
> not sure if tabread4~ can take a "set" argument to change the source
> table).

Hmm, I don't know the upper limit. What I want to do is this: I will
be doing a vocal improvisation. At any time (determined by random) the
system will either listen to and record what I'm doing at that moment
(with the length of the sample also randomly determined) or play back
something it has already sampled. So I'm figuring that it will record
the samples, then append them into an array/table of the recorded
samples, from which the system could then pick out samples randomly
and play them as needed.

Thanks for the information.

--
|> ~The only thing that is not art is inattention~ --- Marcel Duchamp <|
| jzitt at metatronpress.com           http://www.metatronpress.com/jzitt |