[PD] Arrays of arrays?

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Mon Dec 24 09:57:39 CET 2001

Joseph Zitt hat gesagt: // Joseph Zitt wrote:

> OK, this is getting clearer...
>
> I'm curious about the "table" objects such as
>
> #X obj 285 138 table 2-samp;
>
> that appear to float alone on the screen, though they are drawn with
> an inlet and an outlet. In digging around, I don't see help or
> documentation on the object, and I don't see what the inlet and outlet
> are for.

It may be a bit misleading, that I put the "table"s under the soundfiler
stuff. You don't need to connect anything to a table, like you can't
connect anything directly to an array, that has no inlets. The
soundfiler objects write into the array given to them in a "read -resize
file.wav arrayname" message. No strings necessary. But you can connect
messages to a table, like shown in my patch with the table "which_samp".
Here I send just some numbers, that are put as y-values into the table.
Or you could send a "resize 10" message to change the table's size to 10
values.

> Ideally, I would hope that they could take an input value and create a
> table on the fly, with something like "table $1-table". I'd also like
> to see what they send as output, but nothing that I've tried attaching
> to the output (number, symbol, or print objects)has revealed what it's
> sending.

"table $1-table" would just name the table's array depending on the
arguments in a calling patch.

And don't bother, many people may have looked for the output's
functionality, but: in pd-0.35 table has a help-patch, that reveals: The
outlet of a table does nothing and is to be removed in further versions
of PD ;)

> I'm also occasionally getting on the console screen "Consistency check
> failed: tabwrite_tilde_tick". Any idea what this is and if I should
> worry?
That's strange, I've never seen this.

Bye,
--