[PD] Arrays of arrays?

Andrew (Andy) W. Schmeder andy at eh2o.ws
Wed Dec 26 22:16:17 CET 2001

> So maybe I should create a patch (or sub-patch) that contains, say,
> 100 table objects named 1-table through 100-table right at the start,
> then use them as I need them, passing the numbers 1-100 into what
> ever references them as needed. For the current purpose, I think
> reusing them after I run out shouldn't be a problem.

Hi.  Just a couple of points that I wanted to interject on this
discussion.

1) Try a 'society of objects' model;

Make a subpatch with $0-mytable.  Then make 100 copies of it.  Use
global send and recieves to communicate with all the objects... have
them broadcast their id-values [int $0] to a centralized collection....
if you want to get more fancy, give 'busy' and 'free' state for each
object... this enables dynamic-reuse.

2) What is a multi-dimensional table?

Think of a multi-dimensional table like a multi-channel raw audio
file... its really just a 1D table with the samples interleaved or
blocked into chunks.  i.e. a table of length 10,000 could be 100 tables
of length 100.

andy