[PD] Arrays of arrays?

Joseph Zitt jzitt at metatronpress.com
Thu Dec 27 08:16:55 CET 2001

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 01:16:17PM -0800, Andrew (Andy) W.  Schmeder wrote:

> 1) Try a 'society of objects' model;
>
> Make a subpatch with $0-mytable.  Then make 100 copies of it.  Use
> global send and recieves to communicate with all the objects... have
> them broadcast their id-values [int $0] to a centralized collection....
> if you want to get more fancy, give 'busy' and 'free' state for each
> object... this enables dynamic-reuse.

I don't quite understand this, but I've come up with something that
works, creating a subpatch that declares 100 tables (thanks to a
quick and dirty Perl script to build the PD file), which I can then
get at via, for example, sending a "set $1-bozotable" message to
tabwrite~ and then writing to it.

Which leads me to another question: I'd like to be able to record or
play a table, then, when that's done, take another action. I'm not
seeing a way to tell if a tabplay~ or tabwrite~ has finished. Is there
someway that it tells that it's done, or some way to know how long to
wait?

--
|> ~The only thing that is not art is inattention~ --- Marcel Duchamp <|
| jzitt at metatronpress.com           http://www.metatronpress.com/jzitt |