[PD] latency, -frags, and -blocksize

jfm3 jfm3 at ouroboros-complex.org
Fri Jan 11 21:19:40 CET 2002

I am having a hard time conceptualizing what effect the -frags and
-blocksize parameters have on Pd. I would like to get the best MIDI
timing I can. I've fooled around with both parameters a bit, and it
seems like -frags 2 -blocksize 256 is as small as I can get it without
having even the test audio/midi patch buzzing. I seem to remember having
these much smaller before. Does this sound about right? And what about
-sleepgrain?

My laptop has a i8x0 sound card built in that I'm using. For MIDI I use
the serial port and a MIDIator 124W. I have lowlatency patches applied
to a 2.4.18 kernel, and am using ALSA 9b10. Thanks for any and all help.

(jfm3)