[PD] stuff

Michal Seta mis at creazone.com
Fri Jan 18 04:37:26 CET 2002

On 1/17/02 4:24 PM, jmmmpl at netcabo.pt @ jmmmpl at netcabo.pt wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I had several questions to put:
> - which is more expensive to the cpu to connect the main patch to a
> subpatch, the send/receive pair or a the cable/inlet?
> - related to the first, is there any place where is mentioned the expense of
> each object, and a comparation between objects?

The simplest way is to select menu "Help"->"Load Meter" to test the cpu
usage.  But it's overall usage of the current open patch.

> - one thing I noted (in windows), only the horizontal position of the
> objects interferes in their order of processing (from l to r). Does in linux
> the vertical position counts as well? (like in max)

PD, and max for that matter, computes in the right-to-left order.  But
there's sometimes some quirk with the objects creation order especially in
the audio domain (the [~] objects).

> - one command that I couldn't find (that exists in max) is the counter. Then
> I made one of my own, which I include here (although a bit basic, I think it
> works). I hope it might be useful for someone. Does anybody know if there is a
> public library, where people can add and download utilities (like this) or
> other more "serious" stuff?

go through these links and I'm sure you'll find some interesting items:
http://gige.xdv.org/pages/pd/pages/links

and of course:
http://iem.kug.ac.at/pdwiki/

HTH