[PD] passing integers

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Sat Jan 19 17:25:44 CET 2002

hi Orm,

much of what follows is my guesswork, hope it is not completely off
target...

1. If you are going to use all-in-one markov object, then probably
there is no real need for any coding of the elements, except to
speed up the comparisons.  If this is not a bottleneck, then just
store the elements as arrays of floats packed into a standard
struct _elem { struct _elem *next; float data[1]; }.  The markov
class would accept list messages, and would be instantiated like
[markov <ndimensions>].  The main struct of the class would have
``ndimen'' field (and probably also elemsize field added for speed
and convenience).

2. But what bothers me most, is whether processing multi-dimensional
real-time performance input without quantizing (possibly vector
quantizing) could be useful -- with too broad a sample space one
needs huge amount of ``training'' data to start with.  And if there
is to be quantizing, then I would rather do it in separate externals
or abstractions tuned for any particular domain, not in a generic
markov external.  It may occur, that in most cases such a generic
object works best on a small one-dimensional sample space (obtained
after vector quantizing), that will fit into undistorted floats...

Krzysztof