[PD] Pd & single board computers

Iain Mott mott at reverberant.com
Sun Jan 20 02:14:59 CET 2002

Hello

Was wondering if anyone on the list had used a “single board computer” for a
Pd application (or similar)? I’m researching a project that requires a
number of computers running Pd for long-term operation in potentially high
heat conditions ie. outdoors in sealed enclosures. The system needs to run
for years with little maintenance.

What I need is a computer with: an embedded operating system and no hard
disk, Pd, mono audio in, stereo out, Ethernet (perhaps), and serial comm.
Would like a system that requires no fans or ventilation – also, if
possible, with a relational database such as PostgreSQL or MySQL running (I
can probably write my own simple database if instability of dedicated
database applications becomes an issue). The machine will also need quite a
bit of RAM for temporary storage of PCM data – perhaps up to a Gig – but a
couple of hundred might be okay. The system doesn’t require a GUI for
operation.

If anyone has any experience with this type of thing and has some
suggestions – it would be great to hear from you. I’m new to this kind of
hardware so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers & a tardy ‘happy new year’

Iain
Iain Mott
phone: 03 9639 2959