[PD] New Externs

mark mark at junklight.com
Tue Jan 29 19:02:25 CET 2002

Ha ha - good question. I thought I'd post this to list
as well 'cos I've been on a bit or a learning curve
myself the past couple of days writing these two
objects and I could have done with these links:

First of all read:

http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~theo/html/audio/audio.htm
http://iem.kug.ac.at/pd/externals-HOWTO/
and the Max/Msp externals manual from the SDK - available
from Cycling74 (free download).

Then your next best bet is the source code - the PD source
is full of objects that are pretty clear and use most of the
features.

The last resort if that don't help is this list I guess - Miller
has been very helpful answering my questions.

The best way to build is to copy a makefile - use mine
and open it in VC6 - open workspace, change the file
selector to all files and open the makefile - you can
build it in VC6 but you have to edit it as a file rather
than using the VC6 environment. You can still add files
etc. though. I got my makefile by editing the PD one.

Jump right in though -I built both these objects today
and only spent yesterday afternoon learning stuff - its
not as hard as it might seem at first.

Although PD externs are built in C they are built using
a very object oriented approach.

anymore questions give us a shout

cheers

mark