[PD] multithreaded externals?

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Mon Feb 18 22:18:19 CET 2002

Hi list,

I'm searching for a way to make an external multithreaded.

I'm currently working on oggamp~, an ogg/vorbis streaming client. The
problem is that I have to receive data from the server in 4k packets and
the time needed to do this is too long to place the function call inside
the dsp perform routine.
Is there any way provided by pd to have the receive function executed in
a different thread? Or the other way round, could someone point me to
code where I can see how to realise multithreading in an pd external? I
tried '_beginthread' under NT but get a lot of memory related errors...

Btw., a new external can be found at
http://www.akustische-kunst.de/puredata/ :
oggread~ reads and decodes ogg vorbis encoded files from disk.

Olaf