[PD] [announce] flext 0.1.1 / xsample 0.2.1 / idelay 0.0.1

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Mon Feb 25 13:53:33 CET 2002

Thomas Grill hat gesagt: // Thomas Grill wrote:

> > What would be the preferred location to install the flext header and
> > library files in linux? I know, that I can give the FLEXTPATH in my
> > Makefiles, but maybe it would be a good idea, to agree upon a common
> > location, as everyone will have the flext source files somewhere else.
> >
> > Personally I would just put the header in /usr/include and flext.a in
> > /usr/lib or somewhere under /usr/lib/pd. I'm not sure, where you wanted
> > it to land, maybe $(PDEXTRA), but that one is not defined in the flext
> > makefile. It is in xsample, though.
>
> Hmmm, i didn't spend brain-time on that. I simply put the flext source where
> i develop my externals (i.e. /home/thomas/prog/pd/flext), and the lib in
> some subfolder of that .....this is surely no portable behavior....

yes, that's what I'm doing also, normally.

> /usr/local/include and /usr/local/lib is just fine.

It's not, that I don't want to mess in /usr, because that would be
distribution land. I don't want to install to /usr/local, because I
build Debian packages for my distribution on my own. That way, upgrades
are handled by the Debian package system, and they become really
painless. So I do in fact want to install somewhere in /usr, an not in
/usr/local, but I'm not sure if e.g. flext.h should go to /usr/include
or somewhere under /usr/lib/pd or even in a yet nonexisting include
directory "/usr/include/pd"

This might be a question for PD in general. I have m_pd.h etc. in
/usr/include, I think that's okay, but it could clash with other headers
sometime, couldn't it?

> Be aware that the flext.a may not be upwards compatible for the next
> few "releases". I'll fix the path stuff for the upcoming next release
> (featuring list/anything for all inlets)
In fact, I can't rebuild flext or xsample at the moment, because I always
get an "Internal compiler error", using gcc in version 2.95.4. Your
binaries work fine, though...

But so I can't build my own debian packages at the moment, and I copied
everything in $(PD-DIR)/extra now.

Ciao,
--
                                                 __    __