[PD] [announce][Gem] well, here it is....

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Tue Mar 5 13:27:47 CET 2002

hi !
thanks for keeping bug-reporting

>     2) When I switch the input to RGBA things slow down quite a bit. I'm
> running an 800 MHz Duron with a Voodoo3 AGP card, I realize it's
> outdated, but should I expect such a significant slowdown ?
>     3) Is it possible to convert an RGB movie to RGBA via a format
> converter ? Is there such a thing for Linux ?
you mean, using the "pix_rgba" object (which might be (pre-alpha)
crashy)) it slows down ?
most of the decoders only return RGB instead of RGBA, but all of them
are able to decode to RGB. however, this depends on the used codec, so
it might be up to you to use a codec that supports RGBA or use pix_rgba
to make a "manual" conversion.

>     4) Performance seems "brittle", i.e., sometimes certain MPEGs will
> load and play nice, at other times the same files will load but not
> play.
try loading the file after turning on the rendering

>     5) Often when I destroy the GL rendering window Pd will close with
> this output:
>
> 	X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
> for operation)
> 	  Major opcode of failed request:  128 (XFree86-DRI)
> 	  Minor opcode of failed request:  13 ()
> 	  Value in failed request:  0x2e00004
> 	  Serial number of failed request:  36
> 	  Current serial number in output stream:  36
> 	[dlphilp at localhost dlphilp]$ pd_gui: pd process exited
>
> Is this a known bug ?
No, maybe it has something to do with your GraphicsCard ? (but i guess
this behaviour started with the new gem and did not happen before...)

>     6) pix_movie doesn't seem to work at all. Pd crashes when I try
> lading an MPEG, and the MOV files that work with pix_film don't display
> with pix_movie. I get a flickering brownish window during the rendering,
> but no video. Also, if I try changing the named file in the pix_movie
> object Pd will often crash.

this is very(!) strange, since pix_film and pix_movie use the very same
procedure-calls (eg: for opening files).
the only difference between these two is, that pix_movie immediately
loads the frame as a texture onto the gfx-card, whereas pix_film does not.
however, the "brownish look" of your window comes from using the wrong
colour-space (i guess: RGB instead of RGBA...)
i'll check this.

mfg.cas.f
IOhannes