[PD] networked multi-channel PD cluster

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Mar 5 16:16:04 CET 2002

I am working on a sound installation in an old train tunnel and I am
using PD to control everything.  But since I am a PD neophyte, I want to
ask the list for direction.  Basically, my plan is to use about 8
computers spaced down the length of the tunnel, each with two speakers.
 They will be networked together and running either OS X or linux.

Here is how I envision it:

(L) (R)   (L) (R)   (L) (R)   (L) (R)   (L) (R)      [speakers]
 \  /      \  /      \  /      \  /       \  /
master     slave     slave     slave     slave
  |---------| |-------| |-------| |-------| |---...  [ethernet]

All of the computers will share a pool of samples via the network.  I
would like to control all of the PDs from the master computer.

For the first aspect of the installation, I would like to be able to
trigger any sample on any/all computers and even move samples down the
tunnel.  The second aspect, I would like to be able to control granular
synthesis on these computers.

Does anybody know anyone who has done something like this before?  With
PD?  Any advice you want to offer to get me going in the right direction
would be grreatly appreciated.  I am just starting with PD, but am
familiar with most of the concepts since I have a background in Csound
and programming.

"Man has survived hitherto because he was to ignorant to know how to realize
his wishes. Now that he can realize them, he must either change them or
perish."

	-William Carlos Williams

    Hans-Christoph Steiner            http://works.steinertours.com