[PD] Fast line~s

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Sat Mar 9 13:33:41 CET 2002

Hi,

coming back to my lineseg~ patch from last week, I have found a small
problem with very fast line~ segments. Say I want to make a lineseg~ that
goes from 0 to 1 in less than 1.5 msec, this is not possible, because
there seems to be a minimum ramp duration in line~ of about 1.4 msec, a
limit found by computing "blocksize * 1/samplerate":

64 * 1/44100 = 0.0014512472

Now I tried to reduce the blocksize inside my lineseg~ patch with [block~
1], but I still can't get ramp durations of less than 0.00145 seconds. I
checked this with tabwrite~ing the output to an array and giving the
lineseg these three value/ramp pairs

 0 0, 1 1.4, 0.5 100

That should go from 0 to 1 to 0.5 but it goes from 0 to 0.5 omitting the
1 unless I cange the 1.4 to 1.5.

Is this expected, or how could I get faster ramps? Or are these unnecessary
anyway?

kind regards,
--
                                                 __    __