[PD] pipes

david casal D.Casal at uea.ac.uk
Sun Mar 10 14:24:09 CET 2002

On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, Damien HENRY wrote:
> > making generated code wrap around PD-ways. I thought of maybe doing the
> > pipe thing, so I wrote (with help from local LUG) the bit of C below...any
> > advice on how to wrap this in PD?
>
> If i've well understand, your goal is to create one external object for
> pure-data.

Well, no, the problem is that my programming skills aren't up to the job
of converting generated code (from dodgy fuzzy logic apps) into a PD
object...so I thought I'd 'simply' use unix named pipes to ask PD to talk
to the C prog I have. Hence the bit of C in my message. THe question is:
am I doing this the hard way? Couldn't the shell object do this? Or is it
easy to just wrap my pipe program within a PD external?

> Have a look to the help of pd : doc/6.externs.

Yep read it, and also Zmoelnig's tutorial on IEM. It's not just that I'm a
bit lazy, I really just can't follow it. It is a very good tutorial and
clear, I'm just not at the point where I can translate that to a working
object with lots of wild C from somewhere else...

Ideas?

DC

 > Damien.

david casal                   --0+