[PD][proposal] pd externs/extra/abs policy

=?X-UNKNOWN?Q?g=FCnter_geiger?= geiger at xdv.org
Mon Mar 11 18:43:16 CET 2002

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> policy::
> -- pd/extra : for extras that ship with pd (toys, like fiddle~,...
> everything that is in the pd/extra by default now); it should *not* be
> touched by add-on installations (see below)
> -- pd/externs : for add-on external libraries (such as motex, ggee,...)
> and only libraries (only *.dll/*.pd_linux/*.pd_irix)
> -- pd/abs : for add-on abstractions (such as parts of the iemlib-library)

The problem I see with this is, if someone writes an external, or extents
and existing one, and chooses the same name because it fits so well,
we get name clashes inside externs.

This is an argument for always packageing externals into libraries,
but on the other hand it makes it very unflexible because it is not
possible  to load two libraries with the same external.

Another solution is putting the
externals into subdirectories e.g /usr/lib/pd/externs/zexy.

externals then can be loaded with object |zexy/furb|, or if someone
preferres to use |furb| only it can be copied into the working directory
or added to the -path switch etc.

same for abstractions, ...

but I am not really sure if a system like that really works in practice ?

Guenter