[PD] MIDI PD Artificial Intelligence

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Thu Mar 14 01:17:47 CET 2002

Hi Marcus
Marcus Flanagan hat gesagt: // Marcus Flanagan wrote:

> I'm trying to build a PD system that recognises the key that I'm playing
> in with my keyboard. I've looked at the arrays and textfile objects...but
> they seem hard to follow.
>
> Can someone take the time to explain how I would get PD to read in a set
> of notes that are in a key(the 8 notes in the major scale for
> example)...and
>
> then I can check if the notes I'm playing correspond to the notes in the
> file read in...and hopefully then I can use some of the backing
> progressions that I have.

This might be a harmonics course problem ;)

I didn't build something like that yet, but I highly recommend Peter
Elsea's Tutorials at http://www.sfu.ca/sca/Manuals/247/Max/Max.html

Beware: They are on Max not on PD, but they still include valid information
for PD as well: the concepts are the same. But there are some things to
consider, for example I don't know of a PD object "coll". qlist and
textfile aren't really replacements. A common idiom in PD is to use linked
arrays instead, where one array holds the number-names or indices of other
arrays, that in turn hold a chord or a scale.

Esp. "Max & Pitch" http://www.sfu.ca/sca/Manuals/247/Max/ElseaMaxTuts/Max&Pitch.html
and "Max & Chords" http://www.sfu.ca/sca/Manuals/247/Max/ElseaMaxTuts/Max&Chords.html
deal with the things you want to achive.

But as said they are in Max and don't give ready-to-use solutions for our PD
problems, but great stuff to think about.

bye,
--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______