[PD] playing hide and seek with the bangs

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Thu Mar 14 17:55:57 CET 2002

hi,

in the course of converting a fellow Max user to Pd, I had to admit
that bangs are generally smarter than me.  But anyway, below are
two attempts to catch'em:

1. Sending an empty `list' to a [print] object is reported as a bang.
This is particularly misleading for a Max convert, because he expects
that sending `99' to [route 99] is supposed to bang via the first
route, and it looks like being the case (judging by the printout),
but what he actually gets in Pd is an empty 'list'.

2. [t s], and (wonderful) [t a] conceal the bangs -- the former
sends them as `symbol float', while the latter as `list 0'.

Both cases are quite obvious to fix, but should I send my patches?

Krzysztof