[PD] Hiding Details

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Wed Mar 27 20:02:46 CET 2002

Marcus Flanagan wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   Is it possible to hide all the gorey details of a patch(e.g. cord
> strings, various comments and other stuff). Apparently there was a way
> in MAX(which I am not familiar with)...but I was wondering if I could do
> it in PD. It would make the user-interface look a lot less threatening!

there is no such thing in pd. (but there is in max)
i do not think, that this would be such a great thing.
it keeps you (the programmer) from worrying about structure.
use abstractions and sub-patches instead !

so: i recommend building a patch (audio-engine) that has all the ugly
things (like cords and objects) inside.
then make a gui with sliders, buttons, etc that control the engine via
send/receive.
since sliders/buttons have send/receives built in, there will be no ugly
things on your interface
only one object (the absraction/sub-patch that holds the engine) will be
visible. you can hide this one too with a canvas....

mfg.cdas.er
IOhannes