[PD] [announce] py 0.0.1 python script object

Karl MacMillan karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu
Mon Apr 1 19:20:22 CEST 2002

This is definitely an issue, but it is one that already is a problem for
PD. The most obvious example is that data is written to a socket to
drive the current PD gui. Those calls to write on the socket are not
garunteed to complete in bounded time any more than the Python
interpreter is (in fact, I would argue that there is more of a chance of
the socket blocking than the Python gc interrupting things). I think
that this external is likely to work just like PD does now - pretty well
for most cases. To get something that works well all of the time is
going to require multi-threading and the ability for externals to easily
spawn background threads that communicate with the main message passing
system asynchrously. There are a lot of Dannenberg papers on these
issues - I can get specific references if you want.

Karl

--
Karl W. MacMillan
karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu