[PD] GUI objects via flext

Thomas Grill t.grill at gmx.net
Mon Apr 1 19:57:53 CEST 2002

Hi Yves,
i think flext should definitely provide a possibility for creating GUI
objects.
I have not yet made a lengthy research on that issue but as Framestein seems
to be able to steal a portion of a canvas for DirectX (and i'm sure that the
same is possible in MaxMSP), why not give it a try and develop a portable
interface for GUI stuff?
It seems to me that wxWindows is the best choice for such a thing as it
supports Windows, Linux and MacOS and provides a lot of features.
Additionally it can also be steered from Python.
Would anyone comment on that or recommend other libraries?

I consider the planned multithreading ability of flext a prerequisite for
that, so that the GUI generating code be separated from any DSP and message
processing code.

greetings,
Thomas