[PD] announce: maphash object for pd

Orm Finnendahl finnendahl at folkwang-hochschule.de
Mon Apr 1 20:42:39 CEST 2002

Hi all,

I just want to announce a new object for pd. It's called maphash, with
additional mapread and mapwrite objects and implements hashtables to
store and retrieve arbitrary lists referenced by arbitrary floats or
symbols as keyvalues. I use it for quite a while now and it seems to
be pretty stable. Below is a somewhat clearer description. For those
who are interested it's located at:

icem-www.folkwang-hochschule.de/~finnendahl/pd.html

In the moment the makefile is for Linux only. It should compile right
away on windows, as it doesn't use any linux specific stuff. Maybe
someone can provide the necessary changes as I don't know anything of
windows at all?

--
orm

Description

The maphash/mapwrite/mapread externals implement hashtables for the
association of arbitrary lists to symbols or numbers. In other words
it provides a namespace in which values can be assigned to symbols or
numbers for later retrieval, comparable to value assignment in a
programming language like pascal or c. The associated values can be
retrieved and set locally at different locations within a patch by
using multiple instances of the mapread or mapwrite object. In this
sense, the object is similar to the table mechanism of pd (with the
respective tabread and tabwrite objects to store and retrieve values),
with the difference of being able to store symbols and lists. Another
source of inspiration was Max/MSP's coll object. The code is based on
Travis Newhouse's mapper object found at
http://www-cse.ucsd.edu/~newhouse/externs and is released under the
Gnu Public License.