[PD] Midi Interface configuration

Orm Finnendahl finnendahl at folkwang-hochschule.de
Tue Apr 2 17:54:57 CEST 2002

Hi all,

I bought a Hohner Midi Interface for the serial port, presumably the
same as the Portman 1x1/S Interface. I use Linux and got a lowlevel
driver for that interface as well as a general midi driver for the
UART 16550 chip. Both can be installed following instructions. I use
alsa 0.9.0beta9. When I start up pd, I get a message telling me that
it opens 1 input device and 0 output devices (with both drivers). As I
don't have any external midi-device right now, I can't check the
functionality. If I cat /proc/asound/sndstat I get the following:

Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v0.9.0beta9 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux grisey 2.4.10-4GB #1 Mon Nov 5 11:31:45 GMT 2001 i686
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
ALI 5451 at 0x9000, irq 10

Audio devices:
0: ALI 5451 (DUPLEX)

Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Timers:
7: system timer

Mixers:
0: mixer00

The uart16550_midi driver can't get unloaded after starting and
quitting pd (rmmod fails saying "device or resource busy").

Can anybody get me on the way? I'm really no hardware freak and don't
know much about the interplay of OSS, Alsa and device drivers. All I
know is that 2 weeks ago I got some other MIDI Interface working with
the snd-card-serial module, but that doesn't work anymore (modprobe
saying "device not found" without telling me WHICH device it is
looking for).

Thanks,
Orm