[PD] problem with audio I/O under Win2k

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Wed Apr 3 21:46:30 CEST 2002

Hi Miller,

audio I/O in Pd seems to be a problem under Win2k in general - or I just have the
wrong hardware...

Since latency was not a problem in this case (but I need full duplex), I
increased buffersize to the upper limit - no success. Using a PCI soundcard (a
Yamaha waveforce which costs a bit more than $10 und worked perfectly all right
unter WinNT) resultet in Pd eating up 100% CPU when I started it the first time.
Starting Pd a second time worked better but about every two minutes CPU usage
jumped up to 100% for about 30 seconds - but with audio I/O not closing!
Then I used the standard Win trick "format c:" and started again only installing
the hardware I really need. This seems to work. Tomorrow night will proove.

I'll try to investigate this issue a bit further in case I find the time. I'm
just wondering if there's anybody else having this strange problems...?

BTW I once wanted to try jMax - it did not work. After I changed to the Yamaha
card it works. So everything I know is: don't use on-board soundcards...

Olaf