[PD] double precision + benchmarking

Sukandar Kartadinata sk at glui.de
Thu Apr 4 12:34:09 CEST 2002

>Yes, right, originally I wanted to stay close to the original,
>but it prooved to be to much hassle to do so, at the end
>the iPaq has other limitations too, not only floating point but
>screen size, fonts etc. ...

:) luckily I could strip those last two...
however, one option I had in mind was to _control_ the gluiph from a
PDA, although my idea of a musical instrument really is not to stare
at a GUI

>Well, I just replaced the time stuff int the scheduler loop and
>sys_getrelatime()  to int.
>So I left the clock_ functions the way they are, at least something
>I have tio think about yet.

hmmm, but if you stick with the default TIMEUNITPERSEC of 32*441000
you have overflow after 304 seconds, no ?

>If I understood you right, your problem isn't floating point in general
>but double precision ?

yep, that's right, my floats are just as fast as my ints

>What can be seen by this setup is that, once cleaned up, it should
>theoretically be easy toswitch from float to double precision within
>computations. (Well not for the "magic" oscillators implementation).

indeed. and as I said, if I can help with a cleanup, let me know
Miller. Partially I already had to do it anyway, and if it helps more
people than myself, maybe it should find its way into the canonical
(adopting CSound speak here) release.

cheers,
Sukandar