[PD] 8-channel and pd->max questions

João Miguel Pais jmmmp at netcabo.pt
Mon Apr 8 22:18:00 CEST 2002

Dear list,

I had two different questions to ask:

1st:
- I am trying to install PD in my school, where the pc there (w98) has two
soundcards: the standard stereo (analog devices' soundmax), and a more
"serious" eight channel board (Prodif T 2496). The result of pd -listdev is
the following:
midi output device #1: Microsoft GS wavetable SW synth
audio input device #1: Prodif T 2496 : TDIF1 1/2
audio input device #2: Prodif T 2496 : TDIF1 3/4
audio input device #3: Prodif T 2496 : TDIF1 5/6
audio input device #4: Prodif T 2496 : TDIF1 7/8
audio input device #5: Prodif T 2496 : TDIF2 1/2
audio input device #6: Prodif T 2496 : TDIF2 3/4
audio input device #7: Prodif T 2496 : TDIF2 5/6
audio input device #8: Prodif T 2496 : TDIF2 7/8
audio input device #9: SoundMAX Digital Audio
audio output device #1: Prodif T 2496 : TDIF1 1/2
audio output device #2: Prodif T 2496 : TDIF1 3/4
audio output device #3: Prodif T 2496 : TDIF1 5/6
audio output device #4: Prodif T 2496 : TDIF1 7/8
audio output device #5: Prodif T 2496 : TDIF2 1/2
audio output device #6: Prodif T 2496 : TDIF2 3/4
audio output device #7: Prodif T 2496 : TDIF2 5/6
audio output device #8: Prodif T 2496 : TDIF2 7/8
audio output device #9: SoundMAX Digital Audio

For some reason, I cannot make pd to use the prodif card. If I start pd with
no options, it will use the normal stereo board, but when I use options such
as -soundoutdev 1, I get a reply from the system "waveoutopen device:
MMSYSTEM004 The device is being used. Repeat the process when the device is
free." (I'm translating from german, so the english message might be not
equal) Of course that no other program is or was open at the time, and the
program works with no sound.
I wanted to ask, if this is a problem from the soundboard, or it is related
to pd (or if has anybody encountered something similar).
But also if I would want to use the 8 channels, which kind of parameters
would be necessary to choose, since when nothing is specified pd uses the
stereo board. Something like this?
-soundoutdev 1 -soundoutdev 2 -soundoutdev 3 -soundoutdev 4 -outchannels 8

------
2nd question:
I'm trying to make patches that might work on pd and max. Is there a kind of
script that makes an automatic change of the objects when necessary? For
example, osc~ should change to cycle~ when the file is saved as pat, that
bang, toggle objects and float atoms are recognised, etc. From browsing the
text files, it seems that it would be easily solved in a simple way, just
adapting the output format of pd to max's input format. I am not a
programmer and don't know much of this kind of code, but I can browse the
files a little better to know what to change, if somebody would be
interested in developing this aspect.
Is there also any place where there is a "compatibility archive" between
both programs, or, where objects from max that doesn't exist in pd are
stored? (and also the opposite, although here might not be the most
appropriate place to ask)

I was using the latest test of pd, and also the latest of max (I think it
was 4).

João Miguel Pais