[PD] blocking netsend

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Tue Apr 9 19:58:01 CEST 2002

Joreg Diessl schrieb:

> i noticed that when a [netsend] tries to connect to another port the
> audio-output gets interrupted. in fact it's not only audio but the
> whole gui is blocked.

Hi Joreg,

I know this problem very well...

> /* try to connect.  LATER make a separate thread to do this
> because it might block */

well, it's not only netsend that can block Pd. I'm working on
multithreaded versions of my oggcast~, oggamp~ and shoutamp~ externals
since they behave the same. streamin~ and streamout~ have the same
problem...

But the multithreading code is quite huge compared to the desired effect.
I'm sorry but I don't have such a version of netsend but oggamp~ 0.2 (with
multithreading) will be finished quite soon. Maybe it's possible to reuse
the code.

In general,  I think, it would be a good idea to have Pd running two
different threads by default. I know it's a lot of work to do but that way
we could seperate time critical calculations (like dsp) from all the other
things. The GUI is sort of seperated because it's in fact a seperate
process.

Olaf