Fw: [PD] Pd and Gem, some questions regarding performance

Ricardo Climent R.Climent at Queens-Belfast.AC.UK
Wed Apr 10 10:12:37 CEST 2002

> > p.s. Ricardo did'nt you just have a piece performed by
> > the Ulster Orchestra using real-tme graphics rendered
> > with GEM? am I right?

Almost right. This piece was beautifully scratched by the QUB orchestra and
musicians we found all over Northern Ireland from other orchestras and music
schools (about 80 + 25 choir)
I used mark’s GEM with an nvidia card and a giant screen facing the orchestra
for real-time scoring instructions. It was co-conducted by Paul Wilson who was
cueing events in this part and fully conducting first movement.
The initial idea was to do this remotely from our new studios using netsend~
etc. Experiments worked well because all the GEM rendering was processed in the
2nd computer and netsent~ was just transmitting midi (lots of ctlin) with no
delay or interruption.
Due to the fact that the piece was rehearsed and performed in the same day I
took the decision to simplify technical issues and just do it on stage. Also I
could not find an ethernet connection in the Concert Hall either... This, let
me concentrate in important performance aspects like how the orchestra
was ‘decoding’ images as musical instructions and how to diffuse the overall
sound in octophonic.
The audio processing was done by Ian McCurdy who actually prefers hardware
interaction (racks with effects and a few peaveys 1600) than max or puredata.
And I used an extra G4 and msp to do 8 channel granular synthesis (key-
automated) and playback some tape (all the silly work but easy to learn in a
day)-
My advise would be to separate in two computers real-time rendering GEM from PD
audio processing even with a 1.8 Ghz, especially if the audio is very demanding
(some externals are!). Also I  would manipulate midi instructions remotely
(using netsend/receive) and do the dsp-process in the target computer, unless
you want to stream the audio from other computer via Ethernet using other
objects. (Olaf Matthew’s can tell you more about it). Also Linux far better
than NT but I did on an NT and GEM did not crashed.

I am glad to email you the score on pdf or macromedia Freehand should you like
to spot  ideas from it.

Ricardo