[PD] fft algorithms

Orm Finnendahl finnendahl at folkwang-hochschule.de
Wed Apr 10 10:53:20 CEST 2002

Hi Miller,

I was looking around for fft algorithms I might want to use in a
project and found many different applications with different
benchmarks. Looking into the sources I found that pd seems to use a
method implementing a network-like approach from Kevin Peterson from
'86. As I didn't find that method on any of the benchmark pages could
you comment on the effectivity? On the mentioned pages it seems there
have been made some achievements regarding algorithms and speed in the
90's. But that could be wrong in pd's case, or, if there are faster
algorithms, a reason for your selection of the algorithm could be
related to the overall architecture of pd.

I'm just asking because my project will probably contain some heavy
fft processing and I'm trying to find out whether it's necessary to
implement other fft routines than the existing ones to minimize
cpu-load.

Yours,
Orm