OSC (sendOSC, dumpOSC, OSCroute) ported to win32

Bob Falesch raf at interaccess.com
Thu Apr 11 04:28:42 CEST 2002

i need to correct myself: that p3 notebook is a 650MHz. i've done some
load testing (sending to the pd side from max) with simple loops and to
summarize:

with a light pd, i see 40,000 bytes/sec with small packets and up to
127,000 bytes/sec with large packets. this is the maximum lossless
rate--there's a significant packet loss mode just above these rates.

with a heavier pd doing something approximating useful work (no dsp
running, although i did start pd with two channels of sound out enabled)
i measure 20,000 bytes/sec as the cpu rises to 100%.

i'm expressing this in terms of databytes only (i haven't looked closely
enough at the protocol yet to understand what the overhead really is,
but the packet-size effects seem quite normal to me).

so the packet loss mode appears closely tied to cpu rather than tcp
bandwidth issues. when the cpu nears the limit, i'm seeing wish83.exe
using ~~49% of the cpu, and pd.exe the other 49%.

why does such a lame little patch put such a load on wish83? the only
graphic updates during these tests were two of the four number boxes
spinning away (the packet count displays).  could i be missing some kind
of optimization?

regards,