[PD] GEM memory usage

Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 bbogart at acs.ryerson.ca
Mon Apr 15 21:15:20 CEST 2002

I'm still using .86 but I did find the same behavior with pix_movie under
windows. everytime you switch the movie via "open" it seems to gobble up
more memory. my guess is that the table that maps the frames to memory
locations is taking up the space? I've resotred to stringing all my video
into long big avis and jumping around in them. Works very well, last one
was 1.8GB.

anyone else have any ideas as to why the memory keeps increasing when you
reload the same movie (or different movies) into a pix_movie?

Thanks
Ben

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Andre Schmidt wrote:

> ok,
>
> got my first "official" patch (a midi controlled video scratch&break =
> player) bug hunting ready :)
>
> (this was discussed here before, but the workaround doesnt work for =
> this)
>
> my first BIG bug that i found is the memory usage of pix_movie & =
> pix_film. i made 2 test with my d1.2ghz/256mb geforce2mx/64mb win2k...
> memory to full in 2mins
> - the same with pix_film was not so bad, but i think in 1hour the memory =
> would be also full
>
> but after closing pd+gem all memory was freed !
>
> does any1 know how to fix this ???
>
> i was also thinking to use a third-party memory cleaner to have as a =
> workaround for not needing to restart pd+gem...
>
> cheers
> -andre
> ps. if some1 is interested on the patch, i can post it here when the bug =
> hunt is over... (gotta clean it 2 a little)

B. Bogart
---------